Wednesday, December 13, 2006

National Catholic Reporter

Wow, I never thought I get a publication that had three articles worth writing on. Then the 12/15 issue of National Catholic Reporter came out.

First was the Los Angeles lawsuit. Its a shame, a damn shame, that situations have arisen causing this to happen. Unfortunately the $60 million dollars is for just 8% of the potential plaintiffs. The Los Angeles archdiocese better get ready to pay another $700,000,000.

Page 11 initiated discussion on celibacy. Although a central issue to many, the Bible says that Elders (Bishops) and Deacons must have wives. On one side I'm agreeing with the Bible. On the other I'm agreeing with the Church.

When I was in RCIA I commented on celibacy to my co-worker. Now Orthodox priests can marry, well, not quite. Married men may become Orthodox priests - but once an othodox priest, a man may not marry. And Jesuits need not take the vow of poverty - they take the vow of obedience instead. So what do you think of a married, rich priest? He didn't answer.

As I implied, I would not have a problem with a married Father - there is Biblical precendant for this. But I know many would. A happily lapsed Catholic said she had a problem with taking communion from a Eucharistic Minister. Now she's attended mass fewer than two-dozen times in the past twenty years so whatever opininions she has bounce loudly off her own house I'm sure. But that's not to say that others won't have a problem with it.

Thirdly and finally, page 2a had an article or editorial "Faith Under Depression's Clouds". This strikes especially home with me - because while I'm not generally depressed, I do have depression tendencies. But I've found that most of the Depression comes from me "dwelling" on a problem - from me thinking about a problem too much or too often. Particularly from me thinking about solutions to a problem that can't readily be fixed. I've also talked with other and I find that quite a few people who "dwell" on their problems too much and more susceptable to depression.

There isn't a good solution except to stop thinking about "the problem" that is causing so much of my attention to be drawn towards it - hence, to distract myself. This is especially true if the problem can't be readily fixed - like if I'm having money problem or if / when my parents are / become sick. And then there really isn't much I can do, in these cases, except wait for another paycheck or help my parents get to the doctor or hospital.

take care,

Jay

No comments: